Fort Sackville Foundation is hiring a student for a summer job placement Job Title: Promotions/Guide
Scott Manor House, owned by Halifax Regional Municipality, is a historic home located at 15 Fort Sackville Road, Bedford. Joseph Scott built this home for his family circa 1770. It has unique architecture and is surrounded by lovely grounds. Scott Manor House is situated beside the site of Fort Sackville, built in 1749.
Scott Manor House is a community museum and the home of the Fort Sackville Foundation, a registered charity, which manages the day to day operations within the Manor. To learn more about the Foundation’s work preserving and promoting Bedford’s history and cultural heritage, visit our website https://scottmanor.ca. The Manor is open to the public daily throughout July and August with a variety of programs being offered. A tea room is open Monday to Saturday from 2 to 4 pm.
The Fort Sackville Foundation hires three students to staff the Manor who are expected to represent the museum in a professional manner.
- Greet museum guests upon arrival and collect visitor statistics.
- Learn the history and significance of Scott Manor House
- Give tours of Scott Manor House
- Prepare press releases and public service announcements
- Ensure accurate information is posted on the highway reader board
- Keep social media posts up to date
- Prepare/clean Scott Manor House for July 1st opening
- Keep Scott Manor House clean and tidy throughout July and August
- Contact House Committee Chair as needed for cleaning supplies, or any concerns about the Manor or operation of equipment
- Learn and adhere to Scott Manor House’s policies and safety procedures
- Secure Scott Manor House at the end of the day
- Assist, as necessary, weekly exhibitors in the program room (set up tables/chairs, etc.)
- Assist with ground maintenance
- Ensure hanging plants/ flower beds are watered
- Pick raspberries
- Perform cash balancing duties for the tea room
- Learn basic information about collection of resources at Scott Manor House
- Research history and use of artifacts
- Research assigned topics and write a report
- Other duties as assigned
- Education Level – must be accepted at or attending university
- Have an interest in the history of the Bedford area
- Be comfortable meeting the public, excellent social skills
- Experience using social media
- Basic knowledge of office procedures including filing, phone etiquette, etc.
- Able to keep accurate and detailed documentation of work
- Strong, professional verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Able to work both independently and as a part of a team
Rate of Pay: $11.65/hour
Hours: 40 hours/week
Location: 15 Fort Sackville Rd., Bedford
Period of Employment: June 3 – August 31, 2019 (13 weeks)
Application Process: Email resume, cover letter and available references to: email@example.com Deadline for applications: April 15, 2019 Note: We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.